Friday, January 27, 2006

Vocab for the Brave

I came to the realization that I needed to challenge my sophomores with more vocabulary. Instead of me deciding the words and the manner in which they were going to be taught I put the kids into groups and they were responsible for teaching their peers the words and what words would be taught. They have been better than I thought. I am impressed with their creativity, we just need to work on their teaching skills. We have had memory games, a version of Balderdash, cookie quizzes, and one last presentation today to learn their words. I am also thinking that I will have them figure out, with-in reason, of how they would like to be tested on these words and definitions without it being a regurgitation quiz. It needs to be done creatively and with purpose.

5 Comments:

Blogger Karl Fisch said...

It would take more time (their time), but what about podcasting? Like the Princeton Review Vocabulary Minute that I posted about on The Fischbowl?

8:25 AM  
Blogger Karl Fisch said...

Also, you might try using some of the online "word of the day" type sites like this one. Today's word (January 27th) is rather appropriate for the two of us!

1:39 PM  
Blogger Roger Hess said...

I would be curious to hear what you think about the words they chose. Are they words they should know already? Are they words that no one knew already? Hopefully they are using this as an opportunity to challenge one another and themselves. What do you think?

1:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

luxury

10:23 AM  
Blogger The Economist said...

This is very useful post for you. If you want to know more, please visit our site-
click here

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home