Sunday, January 08, 2006

Take Five Eventually I Will Catch Up

After posting my remarks about beginning of the semester activities, I talked with a friend about starting the semester on a very philosophical note with each of my classes. I have previously asked my classes at the beginning of the school year what qualities they believe good teachers and good students have. I am going to expand it this semester to what their expectations are of the class, as me as their teacher, and of themselves as students. Also, I am hoping to have a conversation with them about grades and learning as well. How do they value learning? What do they see as the value of grades? What are the purposes of grades?

1 Comments:

Blogger Roger Hess said...

In all of my classes last week we discussed doing tasks for the purpose of learning rather than for the grade. Today in class a student commented (with a smile), "I did all that work taking notes just to answer three questions!" I was able to smile at him and say, "What about the learning?" I think he appreciated what I meant. So, I do think it pays off to have these discussions with our students.

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home