Sunday, December 11, 2005

Take Five Week 9-2

I have to say that sometimes it is becoming more difficult to think about a personal blogging topic. I guess I thought I would give you an update on the fishbowl for my seniors. I let them lead the discussion and explanation of what they felt is relevant after each act of Hamlet. It has been truly impressive. Each time it has been more and more of a joy to see them really dive into the literature and support their own opinions using the text rather than seeing me struggle to get the class to follow along as I lecture out an explanation on the assigned reading. I am blown away. Some groups have even managed to bring in criticism to support their beliefs or as the basis for their blog questions posed to thos eof the outer circle. I am really glad I decided to take the plunge with this group! To check out the class blog go to www.smithewl.blogspot.com

4 Comments:

Blogger Karl Fisch said...

It sound as though things are going very well in this class.

One note on your comment about having trouble coming up with blog topics. Try to remember that this is supposed to be a place for you to reflect on your teaching in general, not just the constructivists/technology ideas we are talking about in class. Since you presumably teach close to 20 hours a week, I would think that would provide great fodder for your posts. Think about the stories you tell your colleagues or your husband about your day, or the hopes and frustrations when you walk out of a particularly good (or bad) class. When you reflect on those things, I think it helps you improve as a teacher - as well as gives the rest of us an opportunity to help you (or at least commiserate with you). I think this quote from an article is important to keep in mind:

"In asking her students to make their thoughts public and open to commentary, to share their works in progress, and to be exposed to their peers and class community, she [Barbara Ganley] realized that as the instructor she also needed to engage in the same activities and risks she was asking her students to take. She did so by blogging on her own growth and evolution as a humanities and writing teacher integrating technology into the classroom."

7:29 PM  
Blogger Hatak said...

yziaxeWhen Karl talks about your discussion of your day with your husband, I do not think he means the terms "fine, nothing interesting happened and the kids were good." I too have had some problems thinking of things to write but then I have wanted the ability to keep a journal. This is the kind of format that I like. I can sit, type a little or a lot, and see what others are thinking.

I also like to see what other teachers are doing in their classrooms and this allows me to see into their thoughts and ideas.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Hatak said...

Sorry about the other post. The beginning of it was the "word varification." I love this new fangled technology.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Davis said...

I keep saying this, but I would love to talk to you more about fishbowls. I did a mini version with an in-class debate of sorts, which was really interesting, but I would love to add the fishbowl element to Brave New World. We'll talk soon!

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home