Friday, January 06, 2006

Take Five Catching Up Still

Does anyone else out there dread the start of the semester as much as I do? I mean getting ready to teach all new units, meet new kids, try to break down their barriers they have set up and get them excited to learn sometimes is so overwhelming. I am always excited to try new things and I am thinking of doing some different opening semester things with them to help this process along. I am up for suggestions of things people have done and been successful at.

Much like Kristin in her bloggin' I am trying to incorporate more writing into my English Ten and English Nine classes but struggling with the grading side of things. I am anxious to try some of the writing accessories Karl found for us and let my kids explore and give feedback. I wil need your help with this Karl!!! Another thought of mine is to have them exchange their daily writings rather than me always correcting them. This way their peers can see what each other has to say and I can grade less. Any other suggestions?

2 Comments:

Blogger Barbara S. said...

When I was in high school (way back when...) I always enjoyed reading my peers' papers. I also felt empowered when I read comments on my work that was from my peers. So I say "go for it"; let students do some of the grading (I am now wondering what grading means...it is that Tony Winger thing).

7:13 PM  
Blogger Karl Fisch said...

I'll help any way I can.

Two quick ideas. First, consider my offer to approach that college professor to setup some blogging collaboration with her college students. I think that could get your student's attention and make them want to do a good job if college students will be critiquing.

Second, I haven't had a chance to explore it yet, and wanted to know more before hitting you with it, but oh well. Check out Writely. It allows for collaborative writing online - allowing multiple students - or student and teacher - to work on a document together online. It's free and has gotten very good reviews from educators who have used it. Like I indicated, I haven't had a chance to explore it yet, but we could look at it together if you want.

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home