Monday, November 21, 2005

Take Five Week 7-1

I thought I would let you know what I decided to do at my breakingg point last week. I decided to not give the regurgitation examination but rather to have a graded discussion for their assessment. The kids were happy about the change, but frustrated that they had spent all this time studying "facts" and now they weren't going to be assessed on those bits of information, but rather the larger ideas. Afterwards, they told me this assessment had raised the bar in terms of classroom expectations and ideas. Personally, I thought that was the best compliment!

3 Comments:

Blogger Karl Fisch said...

It is a great compliment. Kudos to you for taking a risk and focusing on what you thought would help them learn the best. Not every change we try is going to work but hopefully, over time, we will improve our instruction.

10:59 AM  
Blogger James H said...

We you able to accurately able to access each student? How does the grade look and what was it based on? I am wondering what the parents reactions will be when they receive a low grade on a discussion assessment. It sound great, I am just playing devil's advocate.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Crosby said...

Interesting! Was this with your freshmen? Did they all feel like they got the chance to express themselves adequately? I generally think that our shared freshmen do in US History if they want to, but mostly because my classes are small. Still, there is one student who rarely participates in a class of less than 20!

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home