Sunday, November 27, 2005

Take FIve Week 7-2

Now that I have taken the leap from testing the "old fashioned way" into assessing student knowledge with discussions, I have begun to think about their writing and the formula we teach kids to follow. How necessary is it to have them follow these guidelines? I have always been a big believer in the structure and organization of writing. I still believe that these are things that need to be taught as a foundation on which they can build. But, I see that is something that is very structured and limiting. I guess all I am trying to say is that is there room for me to grow in the teaching of writing without losing the importance of the foundation.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

I think the organization and a founation is a must.

Otherwise we get students communicating in an unprofessional manner....

Here is an example of a email I just got:
McBride! I have a quick ?!! Umm wut do our lil question things for the finals have to be about?? Like can they be about ne thing or like a certain topic?Thanx!
See ya in my fave class, current events! :]

Luv ya tunz ~Tizzle!~

You can probably figure who this is, but i think it really shows how informal language is taking over formal language and writing.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Wallace said...

As you have probably seen through viewing student's blogs, they probably need more structure in their writing. Great example by mcbride! The same is true in any class. Students cannot do simple math without using a calculator, and usually wrong at that. Freedom of expression and creativity do have their place, but not when being applied to a student's formative years when they are just learning how to write. It would be like running a marathon without a set course, they would end up anywhere, with no one to cheer them when they crossed the finish line.

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home