Sunday, November 13, 2005

Take Five Week 5-1

With reading the information about grading, I have come to a point in my career where I feel as though I need to make some serious changes. SCARY! I can see this mostly affecting the way I deal with writing in my classes. Typically I assign a paper, work with the kids on it, hand it back graded, and we are done with the whole process until they compose another. However, I am thinkg of changing this process especially with my freshmen. I have always preached that writing is a process, but never really given them the opportunity nor myself, for them to do rewrites. I have always seen it as something worthwhile ,but not something I had the time for. I am going to try to set-up conferences with them on an individual basis and then allow them to rewrite the paper not just making the corrections I have suggessted but for them to actually rewrite a better paper both in their view and in mine. I used this conference method at the beginning of the semester as a chance to get to know my students and have them explain what they liked about the writing piece they had submitted so I thought it is about time to revisit this conference aspect again.

2 Comments:

Blogger Karl Fisch said...

I think grading and assessment and feedback (not always the same thing) are really tough areas to think about. I think you're right, even when we preach that writing is a process, if the process stops when they get the grade, we're really sending them the message that the purpose of the writing was to get the grade. I think we do that in so many areas in education and it's going to take some hard thinking (and some hard choices)if we really want them to focus on learning, not on the grade.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Roger Hess said...

I'm sure conferencing with your students will really help them improve their writing. I'll be curious to hear how much time this takes, and whether you find it worth the time commitment from you.

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home