Monday, November 07, 2005

Take Five Week 4-1

After reading some articles that Karl gave to the CIT team members to read, I have some serious thinking to do about grades. I was one of theose kids whose parents rewarded her for good grades, good report cards and good comments from parent teacher conferences. I guess I neve thought that being rewarded for working hard in school would be a detriment to me as a life long learner. In fact, I often believed, and still do, that it pushed me to work harder in school! These articles gave me considerable information to ponder concerning my grading of the students in my class as well as how I will approach Emma's interpretation and reaction towards grades. So much to think about and reflect upon.

2 Comments:

Blogger Karl Fisch said...

Yeah, this is a tough one for me, too. The fact that the research shows that extrinsic motivators like grades (or rewards of any kind) actually lowers student interest and motivation in the long run (there's a small positive increase in the very short term) makes you wonder why we've "always done it this way." My concern is that we may be motivating them in terms of wanting to get good grades, but not necessarily motivating them to really learn - and to take control of their own learning.

7:20 AM  
Blogger Roger Hess said...

Very interesting. When I look back on my schooling, I don't think I was particularly motivated by grades, yet I did get good grades. To me, it really was about learning, and that was something I took pride in. (Would grades have motivated me if I hadn't done well? I have no idea!) I'm sure we have some students who think this way, but surely not enough.

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home