Monday, January 16, 2006

I am really teaching the future

We recieved a web-cam for Christmas from my in-laws. No biggie there, but what shocked me was when we were having lunch yesterday I noticed the change in Emma's vocabulary; she has started using such words as on-line, email, computer, etc... I can remember being three and the most technological words I used were things like telephone and record player (and I am not even talking about a cordless telephone here people!) What a change! I was thinking about what school will be like when she enters and then the changes in education by the time she leaves. What a future!

4 Comments:

Blogger Cara S. said...

I think I already told you the story about Payton's first "bad word." So, look at it this way...e-mail, internet, and web-cam are words I would much prefer over the word Payton learned!

1:54 PM  
Blogger Karl Fisch said...

Ooh, Cara, can you blog about Payton's bad word? :-)

I think Abby was about 4 when she started saying anytime we said we didn't know an answer for sure, "We could look it up on the Internet!"

I think this is both exciting and challenging. Exciting for obvious reasons (I think), but challenging because we need to always keep in mind the world they are going to inhabit, not the world as we remember it when we were in high school (which tends to be a baseline "memory" for most people).

3:45 PM  
Blogger Roger Hess said...

So, Anne, does this mean that soon we will all be able to spy on events small and large transpiring in the Smith household?
Seriously, though, it is exciting, and daunting. Tyler, who is 2 1/2, has been learning to use our computer for the last 4 or 5 months, and I remember my first computer experience in 10th grade! It is certainly a different world for our kids.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Hatak said...

Oh boy. What have I gotten into as a parent? I am excited also about what they are going to see in their life and I just hope that I am going to be a decent guide.

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home