Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Editing Part 2

I am having my regular freshmen redo their position papers wokring each day on a specific task, practicing editing, and then applying it to their own papers. I am astounded how little they have retained about writing from past year's English classes. It is one of the few moments in my teaching career where I am really struggling with covering all the curriculum or spending more time working on the writing process. I think I will do additional little writing assignments when we do Romeo and Juliet to help them retain what we have been working on.

I am beginning to feel that I need to change how I teach writing to my students. Up to this point, the way I have taught writing has always seemed to work, but this year it seems they are having more difficulty. Is it just this class or is it the teaching? ( The struggle every teacher faces!) Either way, I guess I am grateful for the chance to spend more time getting them to improve their writing and just hope that it sticks!

1 Comments:

Blogger James H said...

It seems that way in every class, that students are not retaining what they learned for a previous year. Learning to adapt to try to make our students better can only lead to more success. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home