Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Grading- It's fun for everyone

I continued with the students grading each other's summary response papers for their second summary response. Then on their final summary response paper of which they found the criticism on A Separate Peace, I returned the papers to them with just my comments and a rubric attached. They were to then schedule a time this week to come in and conference with me about their paper and together we determined a grade for their paper. I am going to ask some of them to comment to this post so we can all see their reactions. It was interesting to see how difficult it was for some of them to come up with point values and actually assign a grade to their work.

2 Comments:

Blogger Karl Fisch said...

I can't wait to read their comments and see their perspective on this.

As most of us have experienced, we never really understood our discipline until we had to teach it. In a similar way, I think students may never truly understand grading (assessment), until they have some experience having to do it themselves. The more chances they get to reflect on grading/assessment, I think the better they will become at assessing themselves, and not relying on some external "authority" to determine the quality of their work. And I think that's a very good thing.

9:03 AM  
Blogger SamanthaV said...

I think it is very challenging to peer edit a paper. It's hard to pick a grade that you feel they deserve without knowing how hard to grade it. Coming in to decide on a grade was an awesome experience. It was good to try to think the way a teacher does because then we can learn about our faults and how to improve. Also, its a good thing to practice this teacher mentality for future peer grading or proofreading papers in any class.

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home