Monday, March 06, 2006

Essential learnings

Recently in our English Nine and English World Literature meetings we have been discussing the idea of essential learnings. I can see the benefits of this especially in English Nine, English Ten and even in American Literature; however, the issue I am having is with English World Lit. I can see how we all need to be teaching some of the same concepts and learnings, but it seems to me that this class is purely college prep and needs to be less focused on a set standard of requirements but rather on skills the kids want and need to know before they go off to college. It is somehting I need to do some more thinking about.

1 Comments:

Blogger Karl Fisch said...

I don't know much about World Lit (come on, sing it with me!). Do the "skills the kids want and need to know" vary tremendously from your class to another teacher's class?

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home